Thursday, January 28, 2010

Let the orientation's begin!

It's official! I have permanently moved into my house where I will be for the next 6 months with the 3 students in GTS II and Julia! Its a beautifully renovated house that is the house closest to the base! For all of you that haven't experienced a European lifestyle or I should say GTS lifestyle, where you walk EVERYWHERE! I need to take pictures during the day because our lighting is weird.

One of my favorite decorations in the house is a picture mounted on my wall. This is probably one of those funny GTS jokes as well because we of our rules against dating and students pairing off. When I first saw this picture Julia told me we had to take it down but I told her this would keep up with Susanna Hipple's tradition of praying and interceding for him who will surely come. ;)

While all my bags and things were strewn all across my bedroom floor I was getting ready for the day and threw my straightener along with its converter back into my bag. Next thing I know my shaving cream is going off like a bomb and my whole room, bag and outfit is getting covered in shaving cream. I quickly grabbed the bag and threw it in the sink! I found shaving cream dried up in the strangest places for days...

Culinary Corner

Thaddaeus and I were excited for GTS II orientation and baked some cookies for the meeting at the Thomas'. Note too much butter really makes a drastic difference...and so does missing ingredients like almond extract and vanilla. ;)

I made Raspberry Jam cookies
1/4 sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 egg
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup Raspberry Jam
(Not my cookies on the tray in the picture on the right...the white things with pink jam)
Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Cream the egg, butter and sugar together. The recipe said to put the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then slowly combine the two, but I always just gradually add flour and the other ingredients as I mix. Divide the batter into 4 evenish parts. Roll each individual parts into a log about 12 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. Place on 2 ungreased cookie sheets. I used my finger into the logs to make room for the jam. I cooked them for 20 minutes and let them cool. When I cut them half of 'em were extremely crumbly and didn't look very presentational. They tasted awesome though and were almost completely consumed by the 2nd year team!

I am super duper excited about GTS II!!! Chandy and Sarah are so awesome and have made me feel very comfortable to be on their team. I not only look forward to getting to know the Thomas family better but to serve and learn from them! Some of my duties with GTS II include being an RA, small group leader, admin, assisting Sarah with planning on the Israel trip, and helping with the Roman's Bible study. A new challenge for me is to teach a class on organizational management and I am kinda nervous about it and can't wait to start preparing! I am also hoping to share about blogging and digital networking in a class Chandy is teaching on "Newsletter and Correspondence."





Today Tabitha and I went down to town to do some birthday shopping. We hitched a ride with the Benko's who were going down to do lots of errands. It was fun having a copilot and I really enjoyed spending time with Tabby at Starbucks and taking pictures around Limassol. We made friends with the Starbucks employees who helped us use my ipod touch to get online. Going to town is a real privilege! Its about 30 minutes away and not everyone gets the honor to shop at 5-ways, visit Starbucks and (sometimes) grab some yummy thai food! Hint, hint Serah! ;)





I came home to internet set up in the GTS I offices and the worship building. Norman promises my internet will be set up soon so keep your fingers crossed! Tomorrow is a full day of orientation and helping Serah cook for the community Shabbat. I hope to post a recipe of Mrs. Rudolph's Moroccan Chicken next! Expect lots of pictures of everyone all cleaned up and lookin' their best!
(my mouth is totally full in that pic)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! I love reading about your experiences. I hope you write often :-) And when you post a new blog...I would love it if you wold let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a parade float behind you? Whatever it is, it's borderline obscene... LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! That last picture of Tab is the spitting image of her mother. Seriously...even her expression and the way she is sitting. I love it!
    Great post, btw. I can't wait to get Mrs. R's Moroccan chicken recipe!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete